I write. I quilt. I cook. I take photographs. What else is there?

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Books

Stellar QuiltsI've recently picked up a couple great quilting books.  The first one is Stellar Quilts by Judy Martin.  Really, really nice book.  Quite a few great quilts in here.  She also gives you close-up shots of the quilting done on each one.  Additionally, she draws out several alternate layouts and color schemes for each.  Great buy.  Definitely worth the money!  I mean, how great is it when you can't even wait until you get home to check out the book that came in the mail?  I also have two other books by Judy.

Thread Painting Made EasyThe second book is Thread Painting Made Easy by Terry White.  I think this book is probably a really good book, too, but it's made primarily for the embroidery enthusiast.  I'm not that much into embroidery.  When I bought the book, I was looking for something to help me embelish what I already have.  Using this book for that is like going to the Super Bowl to watch a game of dominoes.  Overkill.  That said, this book thoroughly goes into the details of machine embroidery from a blank piece of fabric all the way to a finished design.  Well written and easy to follow. 

Scrap Quilt SensationI have another book I recently picked up.  I REALLY love it.  Of course, I've been a huge fan of hers for awhile.  I'm talking about Katharine Guerrier.  And the book is Scrap Quilt Sensation.  I can't say how much I love this book.  Katharine goes in depth about her color choices and why she went that direction.  She shows both traditional and liberated quilts.  You have to go get your own copy, you can't have mine.  I have another book of hers.

The Forest for the Trees: An Editor's Advice to WritersEats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to PunctuationAs for writing books, my most recent acquisition for my library is Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation.  Fun book that's smart and makes grammer easy to learn.  A must have for the serious writer.  Another great book for the writer:  The Forest for the Trees: An Editor's Advice to Writers.  Great advice, great ... um ... emotional support in the understanding of what's going on at the different levels of publication.



1 comment:

Marj said...

Wow! It looks like you will be busy reading and dreaming for quite awhile. I only have the Judy Martin book, but the others look interesting too. Can't wait to see which quilt project you start next.

Thanks for Visiting! Come Back Soon!

Related Posts with Thumbnails