I write. I quilt. I cook. I take photographs. What else is there?

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Scrap Bins

Doesn't it always seem like you never reach the bottom of the scrap bin?  I mean, I spent all afternoon yesterday trimming, measuring and sorting scraps and my bin is STILL at least half full!!!  A friend told me they reproduce like bunnies.  Like bunnies, indeed!

While scrap-binning (another word that just became a word-because I said so), I kept staring at my bin of little shaved pieces from the edges of squares, etc.  I had read in one of my yahoo groups that someone used them for stuffing toys.  Unrelated, on another blog somewhere, I read about a person making pet quilts (Was that you SuBee?).  LOL, I'm so bad about remembering where I see something.  Really, I try to give credit where it's due, but I read soooo much from so many different places during the day.  It's impossible to keep track!

Anyway, back to the story.  Somewhere in the back of my mind an idea came together (I'm sure I read it somewhere too, LOL).  Shavings stuffing + pet quilt = what my DH calls the Cat Nap. 


Jake isn't happy at being disturbed.  But there's no hair collecting on the back of my couch now.  I don't know if you can see it, but the little quiltlet is like soft logs put together.  Both Jake and Elwood love it.

Now, I'm sure I did this the hard way.  I sewed a strip, stuffed some shavings underneath, sewed another strip and stuffed more shavings.  Sew, stuff, sew, stuff.  LOL, there's shavings all over my floor now!  And it felt much like (what I'd imagine) trying to stuff a cigarette while smoking it.  In retrospect, I think I'd make the strip quilt top first, then layer the backing and top together, sew down the seams, add the stuffing with the blunt end of a knitting needle and put on the binding.  Yes, that sounds much easier. 

Anyway, a huge thankx to everyone who I read parts (or all, even) of this idea from!!!  If you make these kinds of things or what I said rings a bell, please post in the comments so others can go see it in your blog, too!

-Wendy

5 comments:

Clare said...

Another way would be to sew the back and front together inside out (the right ways facing each other), turn out, stuff it and then hand sew across the top. That way you don't need to bind.

Joanne said...

Very "green" idea!

“Old World Goodies” said...

Neat idea...since I have 3 of them ...and you could do this also as a "Quilt As You Go", since it's not that big ....binding could be brought from the back to the front....yeah...just might have to spoil mine toooo

thanks for sharing

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm sure the kitties don't mind how you made it and they probably would each like their own. I wonder if they would actually pick their favorite.

Kathleen C said...

I made what I call a Cat Mat with selvages--not an original idea, tho; I saw one at selvageblog.blogspot. I used only white selvages with words or colored dots (no fabric attached to the selvages. It sits on a chair and Martha the Cat immediately took to it.
Kathleen C
villagequilter@gmail.com

Thanks for Visiting! Come Back Soon!

Related Posts with Thumbnails